So... I get migraines. I have had them for years, but the last several years they've been worse than ever. I haven't had one week without at least one migraine since sometime before the month of May. Most weeks I get 2 or 3 migraines. If you're about to stop reading, let me say that I seek no pity. So why am I writing this? I've considered blogging about this for a while now. I finally decided to go ahead for a few reasons:
1. Does anyone know of anyone else who has found success in decreasing, or better yet, getting rid of migraines? I could seriously use some suggestions of new ideas! I have tried many, many things to prevent them. Some have helped, but I'm afraid nothing has discontinued them.
2. Also, I just want to point out that when faced with a migraine, I am very good at not showing the pain. Instead, I sometimes seem (at best) quiet, a little unsocial for the time, or maybe not quite as "with it" if you know what I mean. I do apologize if these behaviors come across as disinterested at times. For I am anything but that! Unfortunately, too many days, I'm simply fighting pain.
3. Last, they say that migraines are caused by a gene- a gene which I believe is hereditary. But I don't know of anyone else in my entire family who has migraines. So- a question for my family...is there anyone else who has them? Just curious.
Moving, on... here are some pictures that I've taken lately. We really enjoyed staying at my family's house on conference weekend!
Monday, October 6, 2008
Migraines
Posted by Welsch Family at 1:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

14 comments:
I wish I had the answer. Do you drink diet coke at all? We know of someone who drank a lot of d coke and had lots o migraines. Went to many clinics and spent lots o cash to finally have a doc tell her no more diet coke period. She quit and the migraines got worse, but after a time dissapeared completely never to be had again. On the complete opposite end of the spectrum I have a friend who gets them that doesn't drink coke on a regular basis and her doc said to drink a coke and apparently it helps. I'm so sorry, what a trial. I never would have known.
I feel your pain. I get them bad for about 6 weeks in my 2nd trimester of pregnancy. I can't imagine having them as frequently as you do. It's debilatating. My dad discovered he has an MSG allergy. If he eats anything with MSG in it (it's in so much stuff) he suffers for about 18 hours and nothing helps. He has also found that nitrates bother him. You might want to see if you can find some sort of correlation to what ate before you got a headache.
Oh Alyssa I feel for you. I couldn't imagine what you go through all the time with these. I wish I had some wonderful useful advice to give you, but I don't. For the record, you always seem so energetic, upbeat, and happy when I am around you. I do think of you often since I found out you suffered from these and wonder how you are doing. I hope you can find something to help you out.
Sorry, wish I could help about the migraines! I've never had them. But I can admit that I drink lots of Diet Coke and have never had one from that...lol. ;)
Your kids are so dang cute!!!!!!!
Alyssa, I'm so sorry that you have migraines. My husband has had them all his life. He has been on many different medications but here is one that has worked for him, Topamax. Its a daily pill he takes and its actually taken for seziures but it has been proven to help with migraines... and Monty is proof. He has also taken Maxalt but that is taken when the migraine hits and not as a daily regiment. He started with Topamax in November and hasen't had one since. That's a huge blessing. I hope you find what is right for you. Love the pictures of your kids by the way. Your kids are beautiful (just like their mother).
Shari
Hi Alyssa! I'm so sorry to hear you get migraines. I (used to) get them too! Although, not as frequently as you do. After I had my sinus surgery about 2 years ago... I haven't had them at all...(unless I'm pregnant). So, the sinus surgery fixed it, but I didn't have the surgery for migraines, only for my sinuses. But it helped for both. Good luck finding an answer.
xoxo
Jenni
My uncle has had them for years, maybe even his entire life, I don't know. But I just remember so many family gatherings where he had to spend the entire time in the dark bedroom sleeping just to try to deal with his migraines. He, and much of our family, now uses this juice called Monavie. It has also helped him reduce much of his other medications for things like his prostate cancer and so forth. It has made a huge difference in his health and many other in my family. Before Monavie, he did tell me that a coke would help a bit.
When we lived in Utah I worked at a pain management clinic. Most of the patients that came in with chronic migraines were treated with an occipital nerve block. The procedure involves injecting an anesthetic into the occiptal nerve (about a 20 min appointment). It seems like they last for a couple of months or longer. Good luck!
Alyssa, I only had migraines when I was pregnant with my fourth. As far as I know no one in my family has them. I hope you find something that works for you.
A mutual friend of ours, Jamie Nopper, just sent me a link to your blog. On my blog today, I also posted about the same migraine problem. She thought your readers had some good suggestions that might help me as well. Aren't they such a setback? I understand your pain and hope you find relief. I just picked up a prescription for Imitrex today. We'll see if it helps. FYI- one of your readers mentioned Topamax. I just read an article that it causes birth defects in women if used in their first trimester. Let me (or Jamie) know if you ever find the cure. Best wishes!
Alyssa, you are becoming a great photographer. I love the innocent pictures of Ella.. she's adorable. Jace is truly photogenic with th biggest smile.
Love, Momob
Hi Alyssa. This is Jamie Williams (now Nopper). I found your blog listed on Michelle's blog and saw your post and forwarded it to my friend Heather, who also suffers from migraines. Hope you don't mind. Your kids are adorable! I keep meaning to set up a blog, and I reserved a name, but I have never gotten around to it, so it is blank, ha ha. Hope you're doing well.
Hi Jamie- Good to hear from you. Don't mind at all that you sent your friend our link. If you do create a blog, let me know! I'd love to see your family!
Post a Comment