Thursday, November 6, 2008

Response to accusations against the Mormon Church on prop 8 - click here for more protest photos


With the recent protests outside of the LDS Temple in Los Angeles and the attacks on the Mormon Church, I thought I would pass along a few stats regarding the LDS involvement with Prop 8 in California.

While some of our blog visitors outside of California may not be that interested, I think it is safe to say that this was one of the most important things that we have ever been involved in in our lifetimes. We aren't normally the writing type of bloggers, but we feel that this is really important. So sorry for all the text, as of late. Hopefully this all dies down and we can get back to blogging as usual.

These stats are from a source from Fox.

1. Mormons make up less than 2% of the population of California. There are approximately 800,000 LDS out of a total population of approximately 34 million.

2. Mormon voters were less than 5% of the yes vote. If one estimates that 250,000 LDS are registered voters (the rest being children), then LDS voters made up 4.6% of the Yes vote and 2.4% of the total Proposition 8 vote.

3. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) donated no money to the Yes on 8 campaign. Individual members of the Church were encouraged to support the Yes on 8 efforts and, exercising their constitutional right to free speech, donated whatever they felt like donating.

4. The No on 8 campaign raised more money than the Yes on 8 campaign. Unofficial estimates put No on 8 at $38 million and Yes on 8 at $32 million, making it the most expensive non-presidential election in the country.

5. Advertising messages for the Yes on 8 campaign are based on case law and real-life situations. The No on 8 supporters have insisted that the Yes on 8 messaging is based on lies. Every Yes on 8 claim is supported.

6. The majority of our friends and neighbors voted Yes on 8. Los Angeles County voted in favor of Yes on 8. Ventura County voted in favor of Yes on 8.

7. African Americans overwhelmingly supported Yes on 8. Exit polls show that 70% of Black voters chose Yes on 8. This was interesting because the majority of these voters voted for President-elect Obama. No on 8 supporters had assumed that Obama voters would vote No on 8.

8. The majority of Latino voters voted Yes on 8. Exit polls show that the majority of Latinos supported Yes on 8 and cited religious beliefs (assumed to be primarily Catholic).

9. The Yes on 8 coalition was a broad spectrum of religious organizations. Catholics, Evangelicals, Protestants, Orthodox Jews, Muslims – all supported Yes on 8. It is estimated that there are 10 million Catholics and 10 million Protestants in California. Mormons were a tiny fraction of the population represented by Yes on 8 coalition members.

10. Not all Mormons voted in favor of Proposition 8. Our faith accords that each person be allowed to choose for him or her self. Church leaders have asked members to treat other members with "civility, respect and love," despite their differing views.

11 comments:

jph3 said...

Well stated and well done, Welsch Family!!!

It's interesting about the voting demographics on Prop 8. With the minority vote so highly in favor of it, it's pretty safe to say that Obama's appeal to minorities actually brought out many additional votes in favor of Prop 8.

Regardless of the politics, perhaps his presidency is a blessing for that simple reason.

Rojahn Family said...

Good on ya, Welsch's. This is not only interesting but so important to get out on the table. Too bad the right people out there may never see it.

April said...

I really enjoyed your post. It really bothers me that they don't recognize the fact that the majority of California voted yes, not just members of the LDS church.

Amber DeGraw said...

One of my friends I grew up with in Hawaii that is a Mormon RM just "came out" this week and attended the march in front of the temple in SLC last week ..... what heppens to people like this who completely change their entire life and everything that they used to stand for?

Steph said...

Nick and Alyssa! I'm so happy that you guys found us in the blogging world! I'm glad that we can keep in touch better this way. What a gorgeous family you have.

Steph and Wade

MomOB said...

Thank for the info. I hope you ave a lot of readers of your blog this week.

Klare said...

This is awesome. I hope you don't mind if I use it myself.

Klare

P.S. - I have made my blog private, I don't think I have an e-mail to invite you so if you want an invite you can e-mail me @ dkdavis97@yahoo.com

Meghan said...

What a darling family photo! I'm so glad I found your blog.

Thanks for posting the facts on prop 8 supporters. I just can't believe how sore the losers are...

Sue said...

I don't know you, but linked to your blog from the Watabe's. Great post!
It's not "politically correct" to malign and attack other religions or races(nor should it be!), but the Mormons seem to be fair game:(
Very sad and frustrating!

Cece Girl said...

Go Welch family! We're so proud of you! Thanks for doing what we can't do now that we're in Utah! xoxo

Loren said...

Hey! Glad you found us! Loren's email is lorenmesserly@gmail.com.

Talk to you later,
Mel